Tuesday 8 February 2011

Little Thetford: Two square miles of history

Little Thetford ferry c. 19051
I have done all the preparation I can for my talk at Ely library between 10:30 and noon on Friday 11 February 2011. Bob Young and I have prepared all the powerpoint slides; all 85 of them. I have practiced the timing, which is roughly 45–50 minutes as required by the organiser, Mike Petty. This leaves time for his own announcements and any questions after our talk. A similar talk was given by Bob Young and Peter Hoare at the Ely & District Archaeological Society. I provided most of the slides for that talk. I have changed the slides for this coming talk to reflect more of the Wikipedia research that was done and to remove some of the heavy detail.

C14 St George's church2
Am I nervous? I sure am. However, I do hope I can show the audience the passion I have for this local history subject. I live in a small village of 693 residents (2001 census) within a two-square mile area. The village is a cul-de-sac, so we do not get passing motor traffic; except for the navigationally challenged. Historically, two railways passed either side of the village; now there is one railway. We have two airfields and moorings for boats. One can therefore visit the village by almost any transport method desired. We have archaeological evidence of occupation since the Bronze-Age, with written evidence of settlement since the Anglo-Saxon times. The village may have had a pre-plague centre further south than the current location and we have participated in the coprolite-rush of the late 19 century. Historically we have had four churches with two remaining and seven public houses with none remaining.

Please do join us at the talk. Numbers are limited. Come early to avoid disappointment.
1Photo The Cambridgeshire Collection
2Photo © 2010 John McCullough

No comments:

Post a Comment