Monday 14 February 2011

Every day in every way ...

Hey! I told you no tongues
My mother, rest her soul, encouraged me to repeat to myself daily "Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better". In today's PTLLS lesson, I learned what that phrase really means. It is a manifestation of psychologist Martin Seligman's teachings on optimism. Seligman's research showed that optimists are successful. We were informed that optimism is learned behaviour and that if we can encourage optimism in our students it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I thought today's image was distinctly appropriate. Today is of course Valentine's Day. It also seems appropriate if we consider that the male green parakeet is the eternal optimist.

We also discussed diversity and equality by enumerating words that might represent barriers to our students. Our group considered such barriers as age, race, language, sexuality, disability (physical and mental), beliefs, financial, background (social), prior education, health and peer pressure. Maslow's hierarchy of needs cropped up again, this time as a barrier to learning. For example, hunger prevents learning.

Marva Collins, as a successful and inspirational teacher of the under-privileged, was briefly examined. An overtly optimistic educator, Marva believes that "there is a brilliant child locked inside every student". Derek Paravicini was mentioned to illustrate the point that intelligence is not just measured by IQ tests. He is a severely disabled autistic savant who is an exceedingly gifted musician .

All in all a very interesting lesson.

Update: It appears that the auto-suggestive mantra "Every day, in every way, ..." was invented by Émile Coué de Châtaigneraie not my mother. It is now known as a Couéism. I so wanted to believe it was my mother.

Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better

No comments:

Post a Comment