Monday 7 February 2011

Feedback

Well done. Now get another one*
Our week five lesson on the PTLLS course was on the topic of assessment; the value of feedback. Now this is interesting. Whilst practicing my micro-teaching exercise on my wife this week she accused me of giving condescending praise. "Stop patronizing me!" she said. I had been spouting wallpaper phrases at her such as "Well done", "That was good", "Excellent". I should have been saying things like "Good but watch your speed", "You need to be more gentle with the control" or "Try to anticipate your next action earlier". I need to give more thought and practice in giving constructive, directed, personal or reflective praise.

We discussed summary assessment methods, such as grading, in comparison to the more powerful formative assessment methods such as continuous feedback. Lewis also touched on the value of summarising the lesson. This is something that has been drilled into me whilst being trained to train.
  • Tell them what your are going to tell them
  • Tell them
  • Tell them what you told them
Those who disagree suggest that being repetitive is bad. They recommend that you be concise in your summary as the audience, erm your students, remember the last thing you said so make it count. Whatever method you prefer, I do like the simplicity of the above tell them mantra. It helps me structure my presentations, and I hope my teaching, into easily manageable chunks.

*Photo © 2006 John McCullough

No comments:

Post a Comment