Friday 14 January 2011

Reflections

Photo: © 2003, John McCullough
Designing a blog look and feel is an iterative process. Choose your design; see how it looks; modify your design; rinse and repeat.

For this particular blog, I chose picture window as my initial design from a set of available blogger templates. After a few days use I feel the default orange link colour, combined with my style of posting using many hyperlinks, impedes the readers flow. I do feel that hypertext enhances the browsing experience, allowing the reader to explore the writers ideas deeper if they so wish; this was Tim Berners-Lee's vision after all.

I have therefore modified the default link colours. I chose to colour hyperlinks a slightly darker grey than the text. After visiting a hyperlink, the colour changes to be the same as the text. I feel that this allows the reader to read the text without too much distraction. After visiting a hyperlink, the reader would not be distracted at all.

Have I made the correct decision? Please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment